Year of studies: 5th PharmD Program
Type of course: Mandatory
Course coordinator: prof. Franciszek Główka
Lectures: 10 hours – prof. Franciszek Główka
Practical classes: 20 hours – prof. dr hab. Franciszek Główka, dr hab. Marta Karaźniewicz-Łada, dr Katarzyna Kosicka
The course combines the theoretical and case-based information concerning Therapeutic Drug Monitoring. The course will prepare students to manage with dosing regimens of drugs with narrow therapeutic index and to concern the specific kinetic properties of the active compounds in dosing determination.
- Recognizing sources of individual pharmacokinetic variability due to physiological and disease factors (i.e. obesity, renal impairment, heart congestive failure)
- Evaluating the dosing regimens of drugs that need therapeutic monitoring with regard to their high kinetic interpatient variability and narrow therapeutic index (i.e. gentamycin, cyclosporine, digoxin, theophylline)
- Determining the influence of dosage forms, dosing regimens and dose on drug levels and the relationship between drug concentration, therapeutic effect and adverse reactions
- Utilizing pharmacokinetic data generated from individual patients to develop appropriate therapeutic dosing regimens in case-study scenario.
The course will take place at the Department of Physical Pharmacy and Pharmacokinetics (Coll. Anatomicum, 6 Święcickiego Str.).
1. Immunosuppressives (lecture and practice)
2. Antibiotics (lecture and practice)
3. Antiarrhythmics (lecture and practice) - 1 and 2
4. Antiepileptics (lecture and practice)
pract.: Antiepileptics (Description and Report)
5. Antifungals (lecture and practice)